The liver is the heaviest organ in the body, and has many essential functions for the body. Some of the main services include the creation of bile, which in turn helps digest fat. It also processes nutrients that enter the body based on what is needed. All the blood in the body will pass through the liver, which is how this organ removes toxins and other chemicals from the body. When the liver is not functioning properly, the body can not process nutrients from the bloodstream, which can cause life-threatening damage. Finally, another main function is that the liver creates immune factors that help fight infection. Here is a great recipe to help build immunity and keep the liver healthy.
My friend and doctor, Dr. Anne Hill, has shared her famous BCG Soup (Broccoli, Cilantro and Garlic Soup)!
A note from Dr. Hill:
This is my favorite flu/cold season soup AND I love it even if I, or my family, are not sick. When it’s time to start raking the leaves is usually when I have a craving for this soup. It is warming and packed full of immune-boosting ingredients such as garlic and ginger. Broccoli contains something called sulforaphane, which contains anti-viral and anti-retroviral properties. Broccoli helps to increase glutathione levels in the body. Cilantro is an amazing heavy metal chelator, which means it helps to bind metals and help your body excrete them. This is an all-around win-win detox and immune defense addition to your recipe rotation.
As you start cooking, I don’t want you to miss learning more at our Liver and Gallbladder Rescue Summit. The liver is one topic that will be discussed, where you can learn how to keep your liver healthy for life and manage other common health issues. Learn more and register here.
4 cups broccoli florets (from 3 or 4 heads of broccoli) 1 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
1 onion, chopped (or 6 chopped scallions if FODMAP)
1 large garlic clove*
1 jalapeno chile, de-seeded
2 inches of ginger
½ teasp coriander seeds
1/2 cup of leafy cilantro, chopped
1 large potato or sweet potato (for paleo diet) or a rutabaga (for keto diet), cut into small pieces
4-6 cups of vegetable broth
½ teasp sea salt
¼ teasp black pepper
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 dash of cayenne pepper
Toasted sesame oil on top and/or Gomasio sprinkled
1. Cut the tops (The florets) off of the broccoli into small even pieces and save the bottoms of the stems to shred and make into broccoli slaw for a nutritious treat later.
2. In a wide soup pot place onion, garlic, ginger, chili, coriander seeds and oil and let sauté until onions are translucent.
3. Add potato (or sweet potato/rutabaga) 4 cups of broth and let simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Add broccoli and cilantro and add 2 more cups of broth if a thinner soup is desired. Let simmer covered for another 5-7 minutes until broccoli is soft but not overcooked.
5. Let cool slightly and then blend until a smoothish consistency
6. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and lemon and serve with gomisho or toasted sesame oil on top
* Garlic is not advised for anyone with SIBO / IMO
But before you start cooking – I don’t want you to miss learning more